Pages

19 Jun 2014

The Fear Of Failure

19 Jun 2014

I like to describe myself as a 'lazy perfectionist', which is just a nice way to say, that I won't even start something, when there's even the possibility that I won't like the results.

And I mean that's fine, when we're talking about baking a cake for example, but when we're talking about important things, like applying to universities, it's a completely different thing.


Basically, it stops your life. You can't move forward at all and you can't think of anything else to do - because if you don't even try applying to universities, that's a failure as well.
So yes, I applied to unis in the end, I got rejected by most of them (more importantly the one i REALLY wanted to go to), and now I'm afraid of trying again.

But that's the thing: Trying is NEVER a failure. Because as long as you keep going and pushing and moving (*insert dirty joke here*) you're not doing anything wrong, you're not failing.
And I'm not saying that giving up is a failure, because you get smarter, maybe you learn things along the way and realize that doing something else might be better.

I think people who don't fear failure are the happiest people, because honestly, what's the worst that can even happen to them, they fail?

I'll probably go to a uni that wasn't my first choice, but I'll keep trying to get into the one I want to get in. No matter how often I fail.

----------------------------------

Post after the post:

Sorry for this very random rant/monologue thingie. I feel like writing things like that down gives the decisions I make more gravity, and maybe someone else can find them helpful on the way. I'll post more often again. I have to get over my need to please, and just do this here for me. I mean most people won't find this interesting, and that's totally fine! Still, your thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I suffer from this too and I can second you in saying it holds you back more than anything and anyone else in your life. If I can't be the best than why try at all? And this is a very poisonous thing and hard to get rid of too. I hope you find a cure~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how many people suffer from this actually! And you're absolutely right, it's always yourself that holds you back the most! Thank you so much for your comment, dear, I really hope you find a cure as well!

      Delete

Owlish Dreams © 2014